The NHS, together with Somerset Council, has outlined some key areas for change to provide the best health and care services now and in the future. There is a gap between where we are now and where we want to be in five years’ time, in three main areas:
- the health and wellbeing of the population
- the quality of care that is provided
- NHS finance and efficiency of services
Sustainability and Transformation Programmes
Around the country, 44 Sustainability and Transformation Programmes (STPs) have been set up to help local health and social care organisations work together to close these gaps.
Somerset is one of those Sustainability and Transformation Programmes and is developing a plan to meet our local health and care challenges which include
- our ageing population means more people are living longer but increasing older age means more complex illnesses needing more complex care
- higher than average levels of obesity and lower levels of physical activity
- a focus on fixing health problems after they happen, not stopping them from developing in the first place, which often works better and costs less
- too much spent on hospitals and not enough spent on services that travel out to people’s homes and local health centres
- local and national shortages in health and social care staff
- a gap in our finances of £600 million by 2020/21
Somerset’s plan aims to help bring about lasting change in local services so we can help people to improve their health while making sure they get the best care and treatment when they need it. It is a five-year plan that shows how health and social care services in Somerset need to change to meet the needs of local people now and in the future.
Somerset’s Sustainability and Transformation Programme has been drawn up by:
- Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
- Somerset Council
- Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Our Sustainability and Transformation Programme sets out a vision for Somerset’s health system, rather than fully developed proposals. There will be discussions with staff, patients, the public, service users, carers and other interested groups to shape and develop these proposals for high quality, lasting services.
Find out more
An NHS overview about Sustainability and Transformation Plans
Watch this video animation from NHS England about Sustainability and Transformation Plans
Read the full copy of the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan 2016 – 2020/21
Read the summary version of the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP): an overview for people in our local area
Have your say
You can tell us what you think about the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan or ask for more information by contacting us.
Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP)
NHS Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
Freepost RRKL-XKSC-ACSG (No stamp required)