Certain accidents at work must be reported by law to the enforcing authority by the employer. Find out more information about the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) here.

When do I need to report an incident?

The law requires the following work-related incidents to be reported:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • Over seven-day injuries – where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to work normally for more than seven consecutive days (not including the day of the injury or accident)
  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • Some work-related diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences – where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
  • Flammable gas incidents

Report an accident

All reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences or cases of occupational illness should be notified to the Incident Contact Centre (I.C.C)

Last reviewed: May 31, 2023 by Adam

Next review due: December 1, 2023

Back to top