Spring Bank Holiday on Monday 27 May means all rubbish and recycling collections will be one day later that week, including Friday collections taking place on Saturday 1 June.
Recycling and rubbish collection days are changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

Empty homes assistance

Empty homes can become a focus point for anti-social behaviour, crime, littering and other activity which may become a nuisance for neighbouring areas and the community. These vacant homes also attract vermin, can be unsafe and de-value the other houses nearby.
There are important financial factors to take into consideration when you have an empty home:

  1. Earning money – the demand for affordable decent homes in Somerset remains high.  Empty homes could be generating rental income.
  2. Saving money – if an empty home continues to be unoccupied it can be subject to various premiums and discounts. Please visit Council Tax discounts and premiums page for more information. To avoid any charges the owner could sell the property or rent to a tenant. An empty home is also likely to deteriorate over time, costing more money long term to renovate.

We can offer advice and support to help you bring your empty home back into use.  If your empty home needs repair, we have grants and loans available to support you in completing essential work, which helps meet the housing demand so the property can be lived in.

Grants and loans

Grants and loans are available to owners of homes that have been empty for an extended period, so that they can undertake essential repairs to bring properties back into use. These funds are made available so that homes can be occupied by the owner or rented out to tenants.
There are schemes in place to assist homeowners with renovations:

Inherited property

If you have inherited a property which could be classed as long-term empty, you should obtain competent legal advice, as the first step will be to make sure you have the legal right to deal with the estate of the person who has died. This is called applying for probate and you can find further information on the Government website: Applying for probate: What is probate – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Reporting an empty property

Should you suspect a property to be empty, report it online to us detailing the location and how long you believe it has been empty.

Report an empty property

This form has 2 pages and will take approximately 1 to 2 minutes to complete.

Last reviewed: March 25, 2024 by Adam

Next review due: September 25, 2024

Back to top