Navigate this page
Back to Housing and homelessness


If you are thinking about registering for the Homes for Ukraine scheme,  then we want to offer our support

AboutIf you intend to host someone through the schemePrivate LandlordsMore information


If you are thinking about registering for the Homes for Ukraine scheme,  then we want to offer our support. We would encourage you to carefully consider the commitment (which is for a minimum of six months) and consider whether your home has sufficient space. You will need to have a spare bedroom where you could comfortably host someone.

Please also consider if your home is located in an area that will allow someone access to health care, education (if they have children) and work (as Ukrainian migrants will be eligible to apply for work).

The government has confirmed that they will make a one-off ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per household per month. This payment rises to £500 per household per month one year after the guest’s arrival in the UK. Payments are automatically increased on the anniversary of the guest’s arrival in the UK from month 13 to month 24. They have confirmed that this will not be treated as income for the purpose of benefit entitlements and therefore this will not affect your eligibility for benefits or council tax discount.

If you intend to host someone through the scheme

Council tenants or shared owners, should let the Council know if they intend to host someone though the scheme. You can do this by email through the Homes for Ukraine business team.

We can provide the appropriate consent (this will not be classed as subletting as described in your Tenancy Agreement), make sure the accommodation is appropriate and connect people up to the right support.

Tenants are also advised that they should contact their home contents insurance company to notify them of any changes as some insurance policies may require this.

Private Landlords

While we are grateful for all offers of help, we are unable to place refugees in temporary accommodation or spare rooms.

If you are a private landlord with self-contained accommodation, we would like to hear from you. We are particularly looking for housing that is close to town centres. Please contact

More information

If you think you may be at risk of homelessness you should contact the Somerset Refugee Housing Team by email or submit a self-referral on the Homelessness advice and assistance page.

Last reviewed: October 17, 2023 by Jenny

Next review due: April 17, 2024

Back to top