Householders in Somerset could be due for government payments to help towards the costs of heating their homes, under two separate schemes.

The first scheme is for those who heat their homes with an alternative fuel such as wood pellets, LPG or oil, as many do in rural and some urban areas. Those householders could be due a £200 one-off payment from the government, but they must apply by 31 May.

The payment is aimed at people who do not use electricity or mains gas for domestic heating and who have not received a payment from their electricity supplier.

The payment isn’t means tested. Householders must supply an invoice or receipts to show that they have purchased at least £200 of alternative fuels since June 2022.

The second scheme is for households that have not received a £400 discount on their energy bills from an electricity supplier (in six instalments from Oct 2022 to March 2023). They may be entitled to a £400 one -off payment from the government.

The scheme is aimed at those who don’t pay directly to an electricity company for the energy they use in their home, for example residents of care homes, park home sites and people living above commercial property that does not have a separate meter for the domestic part. The payment isn’t means tested.

Cllr Liz Leyshon, Deputy Leader of Somerset Council and Lead Member for Resources, said: “I know that many residents of Somerset are entitled to these payments and I hope very much that they do not miss this opportunity.

“In this cost of living crisis it is so important to secure every bit of financial support that is available. I would urge people to apply now to meet the 31 May deadline.”

To find out more about both schemes and to make an application, search ‘Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically’ into the GOV.UK webpage search bar.

For anyone who may qualify for this support but does not have access to the internet, they can make an application to the government by telephone on 0808 175 3287, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

All applications must be made to the government and not to the council. There is more information here

top down view of a person on a laptop

About this article

April 26, 2023

Debbie Rundle

Press Release