The planning policy team plays a crucial role in the development and implementation of planning policies for the local area, balancing the needs of the community with broader economic, social, and environmental considerations.
- Developing and reviewing the Local Plan, Minerals and Waste Plans, which outline the long-term vision and strategy for land use and development in the local area. The Planning Policy team drafts and formulates planning policies based on national guidelines, local needs, community and business input. The Local Plan covers various aspects including housing, economy, environmental conservation, heritage preservation, and more.
- Supporting local communities develop Neighbourhood Plans.
- Conducting research and analysis to understand local trends, demographics, and economic factors that may impact planning decisions.
- Monitoring the implementation of planning policies and regularly reviewing them to ensure they remain relevant and effective.
- Working with external bodies, such as government agencies, environmental organisations, and neighbouring local authorities, to coordinate planning matters and address cross-boundary issues.
- Ensuring that financial payments towards new infrastructure are collected and spent.
- Making bids to Government for funding and working alongside other Council teams to delivery key infrastructure projects, such as Taunton Garden town, Active Travel projects, Bridgwater Barrier and Town Deal regeneration schemes.
- Developing a Somerset-wide nutrient strategy to identify solutions to mitigate the impact of new development on the phosphates levels of the Somerset Levels and Moors Ramsar Site and subsequently the River Axe Special Area of Conservation.
Plan-it Somerset Newsletter
Do you want to be kept updated with the Somerset Local Plan, Parish Neighbourhood Plans, Planning Policy Consultations and more?
We produce a newsletter to cover these issues on Planning Policy.
View the latest edition
Here are the past editions of our Plan-It Newsletter