Before digging up the public highway to repair or place new service apparatus, the land or home owner must have a licence.

This licence is commonly referred to as a “Road opening licence” or “Section 50 licence” as licences are issued under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (as amended).

The licence allows the repair and placing of apparatus and services across the road (and in some instances, along the highway).

If the road has to be closed you will also need to make a separate application and we will need 3 months notice. You can find more information about this on our Apply to close a road or right of way for works page.