A public right of way can be moved to another route for various reasons, in the interest of the public, the landowner, or for development to take place. The applicant must be able to show that the new route will not be substantially less convenient for the public.

Applications to divert public rights of way to enable development to take place are processed by the relevant planning authority. In most cases this will be your district council or Exmoor National Park Authority, if your land lies within the Park boundary. The development should not begin until the public right of way has been diverted.