A badge can be withdrawn immediately if:
- it has been reported lost or stolen
- the holder is not the person they claim to be
- the holder allows another person to display the badge
- the badge was obtained by false representation
- violations have occurred on more than three occasions (for example, parked vehicle causing obstructions or danger to other road users)
Please contact us to tell us about the misuse of a Blue Badge. All reports are treated confidentially. To investigate we will need the serial number on the badge, and if available the name and address of the holder.
Who can and can’t use a Blue Badge
Someone else can drive you and use your Blue Badge if you are a passenger in the vehicle. They can use it when they are picking you up or dropping you off. But if you allow someone else to use the badge when you are not a passenger, this is a criminal offence.
If an able-bodied person uses the badge and the holder has allowed this use, their badge will be immediately withdrawn. It is a criminal offence for an able-bodied person to use a badge. If they do so, they are liable to a fine of up to £1,000.
It is also a criminal offence to drive a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge unless the badge holder is either driving or is a passenger in the vehicle, or an able-bodied person needs to display the badge on their vehicle to enter or leave a pedestrianised area to collect or drop off the badge holder. The maximum fine is £1,000.
You can find out more about your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder by reading the document on this page of the GOV.UK website.
What we will do if a Blue Badge is misused
We work closely with parking enforcement officers. If they or we discover that a Blue Badge is being misused we will work together to investigate the reasons. Parking enforcement officers have powers to seize a Blue Badge at the roadside if they think it is being misused.
If this happens, if we suspect misuse or it is reported to us, we will contact you to let you explain what has been discovered or reported and ask for your views. This could be:
- No further action
- We issue a warning, and any further breach will result in your badge being withdrawn
- Withdrawal of the badge
- Arranging an appointment with an Occupational Therapist for another assessment
We will also consider a criminal proceeding if we believe an offence has been committed.