For a comprehensive guide to all our Transport Policies please take a look at the Transport Policy Directory. This handy guide is available in Current Downloads.
Copies of all our transport strategies and the Review of Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension can also be found in Downloads.
You can contact us for general enquiries and copies of documents. General enquiries and electronic copies of documents are free. We will charge for printed copies of documents where they are available. Please contact us for more information.
How to influence transport policies in Somerset
Contact us providing the following information:
- Your name and telephone number
- The policy or principle that you wish to comment on
- Any suggestions you have for improving our approach to transport policy
We will evaluate whether your suggestions can be taken forward in future policy work and explain any relevant context that is informing our work.
We work to understand what people in Somerset require from transport. We develop plans to meet the current need and to manage future transport demand.
Our overarching strategy for transport is set out in the Somerset Future Transport Plan (FTP).
Somerset’s Future Transport Plan sets out a long term strategy for helping to get the best from transport. The plan explains how we will make the most of what we have now and prepares us for new opportunities in the long term.
Often we need to develop more detailed strategies for specific issues, to help us to put the plan into action. Copies of these studies are in Downloads.
This work has helped us to secure funding for major transport schemes like the Third Way in Taunton and helps us to target smaller investments where they are needed. It also helps to ensure that new developments work well and don’t cause transport problems.
We develop strategies and studies to address specific issues such as planned urban growth. These documents are reviewed and updated where necessary; links to these documents are in Downloads.
- Active Travel Strategy – August 2012
- Parking Strategy – March 2012
- Motorcycling Strategy – December 2011
- Freight Strategy – December 2011
- Bridgwater, Taunton and Wellington Future Transport Strategy, 2011-2026 – November 2011
- Somerset Bus Strategy 2018-2026 – December 2018 (replaces the Bus section of the Passenger Transport Strategy)
Strategies currently in development or under review include:
- Somerset Rail Strategy (to replace the Rail section of the Passenger Transport Strategy)
The development of comprehensive transport strategies supports the Council’s bids for funding whenever opportunities arise. These are almost always competitive processes where the County Council will need to demonstrate why investment should be made in Somerset. Recent bid activity has included:
- Moving Bridgwater Forward – Local Sustainable Transport Fund Bid, February 2012 (successful)
- Two Moors Sustainable Transport Visitor Travel Project – Local Sustainable Transport Fund Bid, February 2012 (awaiting outcome)
- Somerset Better Bus Area Fund Bid, February 2012 (unsuccessful)
Work within transport strategy is also used to help support partners, for example supporting district councils in forward planning matters. Recent work has included:
- South Somerset District Councils Second Addendum Review of Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension June 2012
- Local Representation on Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension Review
- Yeovil Highway Infrastructure Report November 2011
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study – Figures
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study – Appendices
- Yeovil Eastern Corridor Study
Several leaflets have been produced to look at transport in specific areas (these informed the development of the final transport strategy in these towns):
- Transport in Bridgwater – The Way Ahead to 2026
- Transport in Taunton – The Way Ahead to 2026
- Transport in Wellington – The Way Ahead to 2026
Other publications include guidance notes, consultation responses and various reports.
Transport strategy archive
You can find links to publications that have now been archived such as transport strategies, reports, funding bids and leaflets produced by Transport Strategy in this section.
General enquiries and electronic copies of documents are free. A charge will be made for printed copies of documents where these are available. Please contact us for more information.
Archived Yeovil Transport Strategy Review 2006-2011: Part 3
Archived Cycle Strategy 2006-2011 Part1
Archived Cycle Strategy 2006-2011 Part2
Archived Cycle Strategy 2006-2011 Part3
Archived Cycle Strategy 2006-2011 Part4
Archived Cycle Strategy 2006-2011 Part5
Archived – Better Bus Area Fund Bid February 2012
Local Pinch Point Submission – Creech Castle
Local Pinch Point Submission – Creech Castle Addendum Information
Local Pinch Point Submission – Yeovil Western Corridor
Local Pinch Point Submission – Yeovil Addendum Information
Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension January 2012 South Somerset District Council’s Second Addendum Review
Yeovil Eco Urban Extension June 2011 – Addendum Review
Yeovil Highway Infrastructure Report November 2011
Yeovil Eco Urban Extension Report- Local Representations
Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension Review February 2011