Our Transport Data Team collects, processes, reports and shares a range of traffic data. Traffic data is collected to provide an evidence base. This is used to inform, justify and monitor investment in transport infrastructure and for land-use planning in Somerset.
The data collected is mainly used for the following functions:
- Providing evidence for the preparation of our transport policies including the Future Transport Plan and other transport related policies such as freight and parking.
- Informing the appraisal and design of transport and environmental improvement schemes (for example Councillor led Small Improvement Schemes).
- Supporting bids for the funding of major transport schemes (for example, Taunton Third Way and the Northern Inner Distributor Road)
- Statutory obligations in respect of monitoring the impacts of investment in major transport schemes.
- Providing evidence for the assessment of development proposals and planning applications.
- Validating developments to urban transport and land-use models used in connection with the Local Plans in Somerset
- Evidencing the development and review of transport strategies, such as the Yeovil Eastern and Western Corridor Studies and Yeovil Transport Strategy.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of existing and proposed Traffic Regulation Orders, including bus gate operations, parking controls and HGV routing.
- Monitoring progress against mandatory National Indicators set by the Department for Transport, including local bus service punctuality.
Anyone can request traffic count information. It is particularly useful for developers preparing Transport Assessments and Travel Plans as part of significant planning applications.
A broad range of transport data is collected using a variety of techniques and equipment. The results are analysed and reported using software which produces the information in tabular, graphical and diagrammatic formats.
You can find more details about the methods of data collection and users of the service are in the Information and Resources section.
How to use this service
Contact us to request traffic count information. We will ask you to fill in a data request form to make sure we know what you are asking for. Please provide the following information:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Your specific question – what data is required and for which specific road.
We will discuss what you need with you, check if we have the data you are asking for, and either send it to you or tell you if it is not available.
If the data is readily available, we usually charge £125 for each traffic count site requested. Where data is not available, we will be happy to discuss the options, subject to legislation and our policies on charging for services.
Contact the team
Contact Transport Data Team
Address Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Transport Data Team opening hours Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed