Don't forget, waste collections will be a day later than usual all this week after the spring bank holiday.
Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.


If you have had an accident that was contributed to by a defect on the road, you may be able to claim reimbursement of your losses if you can prove that we have failed in our duties.

We have a robust system to demonstrate that we take all reasonable steps to make sure roads are safe. In practice, this means that all inspections and repairs carried out form the basis of the authority’s statutory defence against any claim under the Highways Act 1980.

The Highway Safety Inspection Manual describes how we comply with the national standards for road inspections and maintenance. You can also find out about the Code of Practice for well maintained highways infrastructure on the UK Road Leadership Group website.

How to make a claim

If you are a Third-Party Solicitor and wish to submit a new Employer’s Liability, Public Liability or Road Traffic Accident claim against the Council through the Claims Portal, the Council’s Portal Code is G00422. If you are a claimant in person and wish to make a highways claim, please complete the highway claim form below. The person filling in the form may need to know the claimant’s date of birth and national insurance number if claiming for personal injury.


You must read the following before making a claim.

The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.

Further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies and your data protection rights, can be found by using the links below. Please be aware that this action is a precautionary step. We are not accusing anyone of fraud by using these sites. It is part of our duty to safeguard public funds and use all available means to do so.

Claims before 1 April 2023

If your claim is before 1 April 2023, please see our Insurance claims portal page. For highway claims please use the form below.

Highways insurance claim

This form has 4 to 5 pages and will take approximately 4 minutes to complete.

Please complete all sections of this form to ensure that your claim against Somerset Council can be investigated thoroughly.

You must be over the age of 18 to complete the form. If you are under the age of 18 a parent or guardian must complete it on your behalf.

We deal with highway claims for property damage in the spirit of the framework set out by the UK Courts in the Pre-action Protocol. We must provide a decision on liability within 40 working days but only after you have provided sufficient written information for us to be able to investigate.

Our Highways department prepares a full accident report for the accident location. This provides the detailed maintenance history, photographs and the complete documentary evidence for the location.

Motor insurance claims

If you have been involved in an incident with a Somerset Council vehicle, please provide the following information to our insurance team, using these contact details.


Post: Insurance, County Hall, The Crescent, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY

  • Your full name and address
  • The vehicle registration
  • The date of the incident
  • Where the incident happened
  • The circumstances of incident
  • The damage sustained
  • Your insurance details if necessary

Before making a claim for compensation against the Council, please note the following:

  • Everybody has the right to make a claim, but the Council will only give compensation if it is legally at fault for the incident.
  • If you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to your insurers. If you are covered, they will settle your loss in full and then pursue recovery against the Council on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you.
  • Fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment.

Failure to provide sufficient information in your letter or claim form will result in it not being considered a letter of claim and it will be returned to you for more information.

Fraud prevention

We have a duty to protect the public funds we administer, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds and compensatory bodies for these purposes.

In accordance with the Social Security (Recovery of Benefits) Act 1997, the Council are legally required to report all claims for personal injury to the Department for Work and Pensions.

We may pass information on your claim to the Motor Insurance Anti-fraud and Theft Register, run by the Association of British Insurers. For more information, visit the GOV.UK website.

Contact the team

  • Claims and service queries – 01823 357130 or 01823 357462
  • SSWM – 01823 356956 or 01823 357042
  • Highway claims – 01823 357130 or 01823 357462
  • Claims involving a Council vehicle – 01823 357130
  • Motor fleet – 01823 356956 or 01823 357130
  • Service queries – 01823 357042 or 01823 357130 or 01823 355755

Opening hours – Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

Last reviewed: May 16, 2024 by Neil

Next review due: November 16, 2024

Back to top