Occupational Therapy ServiceCare and support, Equipment and adaptations, Information and advice, Sensory and/or physical needs
The Occupational Therapy (OT) Service is part of the Children and Young People’s specialist service (previously known as SPOT), SEND and Inclusion support Somerset. The OT team works with children and young people up to 18 years old, and advise adult OTs on support for young people up to 25 in educational setting.
The main goal of OT involvement is to:
- Provide access to environment, services, activities and information
- Provide high quality evidence based and measured service
- Support children and young people to maximise their independence and quality of life in daily activities and fulfilling their aspirations
- Support families and carers to safely manage the child’s posture
- Anticipate the changing needs of children, young people and their carers to facilitate positive transitions.
The OT service also works closely with other teams within Children and Young People’s specialist services, social care and health services to ensure joined up working and seamless services.
The service includes:
- Assessment and involvement in home, educational setting and respite
- Specialist in Manual Handling assessment, training, ongoing support
- Environmental adaptations recommendations
- Specialist in 24 hours postural management
Here are some leaflets and documents that you may find useful.
- Children’s Occupational Therapy Team
- Car/seat Safety Device Information
- Basic positioning for lying at night
- Moving and Handling Information
- Posture and Seating Information
- Universal guidance for Seating in educational setting 2022
- Safety Information
- Service Core Standards, Core Provision and Specifications – SPOT
- Children’s Occupational Therapy Service leaflet – July 2021
- Toileting PowerPoint
- Seating for Schools PowerPoint
You can also find information on the Support Services for Education website
Disabled Facilities Grant
You could get a grant from your council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home. Find out more here.
Type of provision
Specialist - This is for a small group of people with significant special educational needs and disabilities and their families
|SEN information report|
Accessibility and adjustments
|Information about wheelchair access|
|Additional SEN information|