Planning permission is generally required before starting any development.

We deal with planning applications that relate to minerals, waste or Somerset County Council developments such as schools, libraries, social care developments and new roads.

Your local planning authority (district council) should be able to advise you of other types of developments including extensions, residential and business developments. We also monitor conditions imposed on our planning consents and investigate complaints about alleged breaches of conditions or unauthorised activities, as do the district councils in Somerset for the developments they act as the planning authority for.

Under planning law development is defined as:

  • The carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.