Somerset County Council

Apply to transfer schools


In Somerset, there are different types of school and pupil transfers will usually follow the stages shown below: 

  • Infant to Junior School: Junior schools provide for children from the age of 7 to 11
  • First to Middle School: Middle schools provide for children aged 9 to 13
  • Middle to Upper School: Upper schools provide for children from age 13 to 18
  • Primary to Secondary School: Secondary schools provide for children aged 11 to 16/18

The information on this page applies to children living in Somerset who are due to transfer to a secondary or upper school in September 2015. Please refer to the Apply to Start School page for information about children due to start school for the first time or children transferring to a junior or middle school. 

If your child is due to transfer to a secondary or upper school you can:

Please note: You can also use the Apply for a school transfer online  link to check the outcome of your application on the outcome day.

Please see our helpful guide to making an online application on the right hand side of this page.

If you apply online you will receive an email with the outcome of your application on
1 March 2015. If you apply using a paper application form your outcome will be sent out second class post on 1 March 2015. Outcomes will not be given out over the phone or in person at the Council offices.

If we know about your child, and he/she is eligible to transfer schools in September 2015, we will have sent you a letter and a flyer explaining how to make your application. On your letter is a UID (Unique Identification Number) which you can use to pre-populate your child's details on the online form. If you  have not received a letter:

  • Download a copy of the secondary admissions guide from the right hand side of this page. The guide has lots of information on all you need to know about applying for your child's school place, then;
  • Apply for a place on-line pressing the No UID button when prompted. 

Please ensure you fully complete the applicant details section of the application form including supplying a phone number. School Transport use a texting service to notify parents of changes to transport arrangements and require accurate and up to date details.

If you live outside of Somerset and wish to apply for a Somerset school you will need to apply through your home local authority. If you live in Somerset and wish to apply for a place in a school in another local authority area, you will need to apply through Somerset as it is your home authority. For further information and contact details for neighbouring local authorities please see the information in the Secondary Admissions Guide.

Please note, it is the parent/carer's responsibility to make an on-time school place application. If you are making an application after the closing date, it will be classed as late and you will need to complete a paper application form which you can download from this page or contact Somerset Direct if you require one to be posted to you. Outcomes for applications received by
8 May 2015 will be sent out during the week 1 - 5 June 2015. Applications received after
8 May 2015 will be processed in strict date order of receipt from 8 June 2015.

Every school has a legal Published Admission Number (PAN) applicable to the year of entry, which is the maximum number of places available in the year group concerned. The Admission Number is set to maximise parental preference within the resources available and to ensure that there are sufficient school places across the local area enabling the education service as a whole to be run efficiently and effectively.

The Admission Numbers for September 2015 admissions are shown in the school/academy Information table in pages 29 - 31 of the Secondary Admissions Guide.

All Admission Authorities are required to take appropriate account of a schools Published Admission Number when allocating school places and will not normally admit more children than there are places available within the Admission Number.

Unfortunately, at some schools, there will not be enough places for all the children whose parents would like them to go there. When all places have been allocated up to the Published Admission Number, the Admission Authority may refuse any further requests and offer the legal right of appeal. Please visit the page Appeal against a school admissions decision for further information.

If a school is under-subscribed, places can be offered to all applicants. If a school is over-subscribed, the over-subscription criteria for that school is applied to determine which children can be offered places. Different over-subscription criteria will apply, depending on the type of school:

  • For Community and Voluntary Controlled (VC) schools, the Local Authority over-subscription criteria will apply.
  • For Voluntary Aided, Academies, Free Schools and Foundation schools, the Governing Body or Academy Trust will apply their own published over-subscription criteria. 

You can find more information on the over-subscription criteria for all Somerset schools in the Secondary Admissions Guide.

We would strongly advise that you carefully consider the following when making your school place application; 

  • It is strongly advised you put three school preferences on your form especially if you live in an urban area. You are not given a higher priority for any school by stating it as your only preference and may be more likely to be allocated a school you have not chosen. This could also be some distance from your home address.
  • Places are allocated using the 'Equal Preference with Ranking' method. This means all preferences are considered equally and a place is offered at the highest preference possible.
  • If you wish to be considered for your catchment school you must include it as one of your preferences. You can check your school catchment area on a map. The map is a representation of the catchment areas and cannot be relied upon for purchasing a property. If you are considering purchasing a property or if you live near a school border then please contact our admissions team.
  • There are no guarantees that siblings will be allocated the same school when the school is over-subscribed so you are advised to put other preferences, especially if you live outside the catchment area.
  • Carefully read the over-subscription criteria for the schools you have chosen. For all VC and Community schools this can be found on page 20 of the Secondary Admissions Booklet. For all other schools the criteria are included against each school in the table in pages 21-25 of the Secondary Admissions Booklet.
  • If your preferred school(s) requires a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) or further proof (e.g proof of regular church attendance), it is essential that this is sent in with your application form if you would like your child to be considered under the appropriate criterion. All SIF's can be found on the relevant school website.
  • If you have recently moved address or are due to move please provide proof of your new address.
  • You will be responsible for transporting your child to any school you name as a preference unless you have a statutory entitlement or qualify for discretionary transport under exceptional circumstances.

The home address is very important, as school places are allocated on the basis of the home address of each child.  A child’s home address is considered to be where the child spends the majority of their time with parents or carers. 

Documentary evidence of home ownership or suitable rental agreement may be required, together with proof of permanent residence at the property concerned. Places cannot be allocated on the basis of an intended future address, unless the house move can be confirmed through the formal ‘exchange of contracts’ or the signing of a minimum of a six month tenancy agreement. An address change due to a move to live with family or friends will not be considered until the move has taken place and suitable proof of residency has been obtained. Proof that a move from the previous address has taken place may also be required e.g proof of exchange of contracts, a tenancy agreement showing the end date of the tenancy or a notice to quit from the landlord or repossession notice. The Local Authority reserve the right to seek further documentary evidence to support a claim of residence which could include contacting the estate agent, solicitor landlord or relevant professional.

An address used for childcare arrangements cannot be used as a home address for the purpose of applying for a school place. Fraudulent claims relating to the home address of a particular child may lead to the withdrawal of any offer of a school place.

Proof of address will not be required for Traveller families where the address is confirmed by the Traveller Education Service.  A foster carer will not be required to supply proof of address for a child placed with them by a Local Authority.

The Local Authority and/or Admissions Authority must be notified of any change of address during the admissions procedure.

Choice Advice
You may wish to contact the Choice Advice Service who offer impartial information and support on school admissions and appeals.

Children with Special Educational Needs
If you are applying for a mainstream school, you must still complete and return the application form and be sure to indicate Special Educational Needs in the appropriate section on your application form. If you wish to apply for a Special School, you will need to contact the SEN Team direct. There would also have been an opportunity to discuss your views on your child's next placement at their last Annual Review meeting.

If a child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (previously known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs) which names a particular school, then the Admission Authority for that school has a duty to admit the child. Where possible, the Admissions Authority will take these admissions into account before the published offer day and will include these admissions within the published admission number.

The Local Authority (LA) has a duty to make suitable provision for children who have Special Educational Needs and to make appropriate education available in mainstream or specialist schools. Wherever possible, the LA will try to place children with Special Educational Needs in mainstream schools. The needs of the majority of children can be met from the resources available to the schools, including advice from the area support services.

Independent Schools: If you are sending your child to an independent school next September you must inform the Admissions and Entitlements Team by letter or by email. We need this information to keep our records up to date.

We welcome information regarding potentially fraudulent and/or intentionally misleading school place applications. If preferred, this information can be submitted anonymously.


Contact: Admissions and Entitlements Team
Address: County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Contact no: 0300 123 2224
Fax: 01823 356113
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5pm, Friday: 8:30am to 4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »