Transition into secondary education

At 11 or 13 years a young person moves into secondary or upper school. The type of school your child attends depends on where they live in Somerset. In some areas there is a three-tier system where children start at first school until they are 9 years, move into middle school until they are 13 and then onto upper school. In most areas children move from primary to secondary school when they are 11.

When children and young people move from one school phase to another it is called ‘transition.’ The experience of starting a new school, just like starting a new job, can be an anxious time. Adapting to the change of environment, new routine and new people are all factors that can make us feel stressed and for young people there is the added uncertainty of making new friends and maybe leaving some behind.

Supporting Me In Learning and Education (SMILE) Transitions and Changes leaflets below have been co-produced by young people, parent carers and professionals.

Document preview

A document co-produced to offer support to young people, their families and those working with them.

PDF, 250KB

Last reviewed: April 3, 2023 by Keir

Next review due: October 3, 2023

Back to top