Schools and colleges need to provide certain information on their website under the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) code of practice:
- Special Educational Needs information report: Contains information on what you have been doing/providing. (refer to section 6.79 page) Should be co-produced with children, young people and their parents/ carers. (Annually updated)
- SEND policy: Shows how provision is designed/planned and will be delivered (6.81 p107) Children, young people and their parent carers should be consulted. (Updated at least every 3 years)
- Accessibility plan: Outlines features of the site that enable it to be accessible for example ramps, lift, hoist in changing room, accessible toilet, and height adjustable desks. (6.2 p92) The plan needs to show how they plan to improve access progressively over time.
- Local offer link: Web link to Somerset’s Local Offer (6.81 p107)
School website compliance audit
Twice a year the Somerset Parent Carer Forum audit all school websites to make sure they are meeting the requirements of the SEND Code of Practice. An action plan is developed to work with schools and colleges to improve the information they share.
Common issues found by the audit include:
- Local Offer links are broken or hidden in documents
- Documents are not signed or dated
- Reviews of documents have not taken place – outdated
- Not evidencing co-production with parents and young people
- Somerset SENDIAS (our Information Advice and Guidance service) is often referred to as Parent Partnership (old name) and the contact details are wrong
- Documents are not as pdfs or are viewed sideways
- There is confusion between the report to governors and the SEND Information Report
You can see the progress made and action plans in each audit.
Schools and colleges wanting to add or update their provider records will need to complete an update form selecting ‘School/College’ as the type. This form link can also be found at the bottom of your school or college’s Local Offer record where it says ‘Update Record’.
To help schools we have put together 2 sample texts which they may want to use on their website and in documents.
Sample text for Somerset’s SEND Local Offer:
Sample text for SEN Information Report and reference to the Somerset Graduated Response Tool:
You can find further information on the Support Services for Education website, including template documents to support statutory compliance.
If you are experiencing difficulties with updating your information on the local offer platform, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.