If you are flooded or at risk of flooding please see our latest information and advice

Latest information and advice

We are experiencing issues with some payments. We are working with our provider to resolve this.

Part of
Preparing for the future

Decisions that need to be made at each age group


It is expected that most young people with EHC plans will have completed their further education by the age of 19, but some do need longer to consolidate their education and training.

An EHC plan will not be ceased as soon as you turn 19, but it will take account of whether the education or training outcomes have been achieved.

When you are close to finishing your education and training, the final annual review should be used to agree the support needed to help engage with adult services.

See Education, health and care plan after the annual review for more information.

Social care

People over the age of 18 who have eligible care and support needs may have to contribute to the cost of their care and support.  A financial assessment will be done to see how much you can afford to contribute.

Transport and travel

Travel assistance may be provided for 19 to 25 year olds in education for a first course of study only, and based on individual needs.  This is for students with the most severe disabilities with no other means of transportation.  Applications need to be made each year and will not automatically continue each year.

See Over 16 student transport for more information.

Finance and benefits

If you make a benefit claim you should be invited to meet a work coach at the Job Centre.  They will discuss your needs and any barriers to work.  You may have a Work Capability Assessment or be offered a specialist employment programme to support you into work.  See Support for work for more information.

An Access to Work grant can cover the additional support you may need if you have a disability, health condition or mental health condition for your job.  This can include adaptations to equipment you use, fares to work if you cannot use public transport, a support worker or job coach to help you in the workplace.  See Access to Work Fund for more information.

Disabled Students Allowance can cover the additional support you may need if you have a disability, health problem or learning difficulty for higher education.  This can include specialist equipment, non-medical helpers (e.g. BLS interpreter), extra travel assistance or other disability related study support. See Higher Education for more information.

Last reviewed: August 17, 2023 by Gemma

Next review due: February 17, 2024

Back to top