Social Worker - School Based
Closing in 3 days (26 October, 2020)
A bit about us
Somerset County Council have an exciting opportunity for experienced Social Workers to be part of a new and innovative Social Workers in Schools project. We are delighted to have been chosen by the Department for Education as one of only 20 authorities to work on the programme, which will see social work and education work collaboratively to improve longer-term outcomes for children and young people across Somerset. These posts in our schools are part of a programme funded by the Department for Education. As we are offering these posts on a permanent contract, if at the end of the programme there is no plan to continue the project, successful applicants would move across to one of our existing teams.
Key purpose of the role…
To work closely with the chosen schools, by becoming integrated in the school environment, whilst maintaining close and supportive working relationships with colleagues in social care. The role will be focused specifically on working with children and young people who are at risk of child exploitation.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, within a team who are passionate about the work that they do to improve the lives of our children and young people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, along with a very supportive leadership team.
Here's what you can expect to be doing
• To be the allocated social worker for a caseload of children and young people open to Children’s Social Care. All, or the majority, of the children and young people will attend the designated school and will be identified as at risk of exploitation
• To work together with the designated school to build good relationships with children and their families in order to understand their needs and develop support and safety plans.
• To be visible in the school and initiate and maintain regular communication with school staff
• To provide an educative component, supporting the school to develop confidence in identifying, understanding and responding to safeguarding issues specifically related to child exploitation.
• To work with siblings where this would be beneficial to reducing risk to any child in the family, including working with feeder schools
• Deliver services in line with equal opportunities practices. Pay due and professional attention to issues of diversity.
A few things about you
What we’re looking for…
You will be passionate about strength and relationship-based social work, proud of your profession, and able to reflect and think creatively about how you can build and sustain relationships to make a difference to children and families.
You will need to be a qualified social worker, registered with Social Work England and have experience working with children and families in social work.
We have opportunities at various schools across the County so for an informal chat about roles within the new team please email:
Taunton area – Cathy Jones – CZjones@somerset.gov.uk or 07890583225
Sedgemoor/Bridgwater area – Carrie Grant – CGrant@somerset.gov.uk or 07900 706001
Mendip/Street area – Colin Dryden – CDryden@somerset.gov.uk or 07887753197
South Somerset/Yeovil area - Richard Burrows – Rburrows@somerset.gov.uk or 07977402293
These are all full time posts with part time options considered.
Due to the importance of the role we recommend applying as soon as possible. Depending on the level of response, we anticipate conducting interviews ahead of the closing date. All interviews will be taking place virtually via Microsoft Teams.
Why choose Somerset County Council
What we can offer you…
• Generous annual leave and flexible working options
• Local Government pension scheme
• Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
• Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
• A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
• ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
• Gym discounts
• Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
• Generous relocation allowance
This job requires a criminal background check (DBS) via the disclosure procedure.Apply now
Ambitious, fast-paced, energetic and collaborative Working for the council
There’s a lot about Somerset County Council that might surprise you. Probably will surprise you.
We’re responsible for the most significant services across the whole of the county, like education, social care and waste management. Everything we do we do to improve the lives of each and every one of our 550,000 residents, not to mention the millions of people who visit our county every year.Find out more
Don’t see the position you’re looking for?
Sign up for our job alerts, and be the first to know when a new vacancy is live!