Social Worker - Children Looked After
Closing in 21 days (28 February, 2023)
Why should I choose Somerset County Council?
Well, for a start, we’re a hugely ambitious council, committed to improving lives for the residents, communities and businesses of Somerset.
And that’s why we’re working so hard to build a sustainable organisation with a culture that rewards, values and recognises our staff, and gives everyone here the opportunity to grow and develop, personally and professionally.
If you’re looking for a place where you work truly matters – where YOU truly matter – we might be just right for you.
We also promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
We can offer you
- Small supportive teams to progress your career
- Strengths and relationship-based approach to underpin your work
- Regular high-quality systemic supervision
- Flexible working and trust in your professional autonomy
What will I be doing?
Working in CLA you will have the opportunity to support profound changes to a child's life, building long term relationships to see them through their journey. Working in the Mendip CLA Team will give you a unique opportunity to work with unaccompanied asylum seeking young people. While we are looking for someone with this experience, we are able to consider all applicants as there will be additional training and support provided.
We are looking for Social Workers who are passionate and enthusiastic to join us in improving outcomes for our most vulnerable young people within the Children Looked After (CLA) service. We have come a long way in our improvement journey; join us as we strive to provide a gold star service for all children and young people.
Permanence is our passion for those children that need it the most; promoting positive outcomes for children both educationally and socially with reconnection for all families wherever possible.
Extensive training and development opportunities are supported by weekly CPD, on-site Consultant Social Worker support, pod working, and Advanced Social Work Practitioner (AP) Programme with role specialism.
What kind of experience or qualifications do I need?
You will need to be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and have substantial experience working with children and families in social work.
What will I be offered in return?
Progressive, improving and innovative we offer competitive salaries and up to an £8k relocation allowance.
We provide a range of benefits to reward and thank our Social Workers for the amazing work that they do. Click to see the full list of what we can offer you
- 29 days annual leave and flexible working options
- Local Government pension scheme
- Optional pension enhancement through our additional voluntary contribution scheme
- Employee assistance and support offering a variety of wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle
- A flexible benefits platform including cycle to work and health screening schemes
- ‘My staff shop’ which offers excellent discounts at a variety of retailers including; cinemas, restaurants, clothing stores and insurance providers
- Gym discounts
- Discounted lease car options via salary sacrifice, along with discounts on fuel
- The opportunity to grow and develop as a practitioner in a safe and supported environment within a stable management team.
Anything else I should know?
Our Mendip hub is in the centre of Shepton Mallet, nestled in the Mendip Hills close to Glastonbury, Frome and Bath.
For more information about the role please contact Jess Burn on 01749 822702.
Salary £32,909 to £37,261 per annum
This post requires a criminal background check via the Disclosure procedure.Apply now
Ambitious, fast-paced, energetic and collaborative Working for the council
There’s a lot about Somerset County Council that might surprise you. Probably will surprise you.
We’re responsible for the most significant services across the whole of the county, like education, social care and waste management. Everything we do we do to improve the lives of each and every one of our 550,000 residents, not to mention the millions of people who visit our county every year.Find out more
Don’t see the position you’re looking for?
Sign up for our job alerts, and be the first to know when a new vacancy is live!