Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.



The application for a skip permit must only be completed by the appointed contractor.

All applicants must complete the ‘Declaration’ section of the form before submitting an application.


We only issue licences for skips on the highway to accredited contractors.

You can apply for a skip licence or extension using the buttons below.

Apply for a skip licence

This form has 8 pages and will take approximately 6 minutes to complete.

Important changes to the processing of licence applications

We have recently reviewed the cost of licence fees for applications to work on the highway.

The review confirmed the cost of the licence fees have not kept pace with the costs for administration.

Regrettably this is currently unsustainable. As such, the fees will be raised as detailed below.

From 1 August 2024 the following charges will apply to:

  • Application for “minor works on/adjacent to the public highway” (Highways Act 1980, Section 171 Licence) – £248 (was £232)
  • Application for “deposition of materials” (Highways Act 1980, Section 171 Licence) – £97 (was £50)
  • Application for a vehicle crossing over footways and verges (Highways Act 1980, Section 184 Licence) – £346 (was £218)
  • Application for skip license – £97 (was £65)
  • Application for scaffold license – £111 (was £90)

This is based on CPI inflationary increase if 6.7% CPI and to align with administration costs
and regional charges.

Apply for a skip licence extension

This form has 4 pages and will take approximately 4 minutes to complete.

Please provide the following information clearly allowing at least 10 working days before you require the skip on site.

Only emergency applications will be processed with less than 10 working days’ notice.

The permit is valid for 28 days. Subsequent extensions will require a new application and are subject to a further fee.

If the skip is still on site after 28 days, then you must apply and pay for an extension.

Background information

Application for permission to deposit a builders skip on the highway for the temporary storage of builders’ material or refuse in accordance with:

Highways Act 1980, Section 139, 140 and 140A, Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984, Section 65, Builders Skip (Markings) Regulations 1984, Environment Protection Act 1990, Section 34, Local Authorities (Transport Charges) Regulations 1998

Guidance notes
Please note there is a fee of £97 to cover administration and site inspection costs. Cheques should be made payable to Somerset Council.

Please note that this fee is non-refundable.

Please read the specific Schedule of Conditions (PDF 82.7KB) before filling in the form.


Contractors can also apply to the local area highways office for an application form giving us 10 days’ notice, by either:

  • filling in the online form above
  • contacting us by phone, or
  • visiting the local area highways office and completing the form there.

Permission once granted will be valid for 28 days.

For longer periods than 28 days an extension application is necessary and a further fee of £65 is required. To renew an existing skip licence, please contact us. This must be done at least a week before the current licence is due to expire. Please tell us your current permit number on the form.

For contractors – there is a fee of £40 for any additional site visits required to inspect a skip that does not comply with the conditions of the licence.

Please note that, so that we can comply with legislation introduced in the Traffic Management Act 2004, the notice period for applications has been extended to 10 working days. Please always contact us if you have an emergency application where you are unable to give the full notice, as these will always be considered.

Last reviewed: June 13, 2024 by Paul

Next review due: December 13, 2024

Back to top