You are now viewing information for the Mendip area

Change area


We will do all that we can to remove graffiti from our own property within 7 days and we can advise private owners to try and achieve the same – however, the responsibility for removal from other properties lies with the respective owner. Graffiti is in some circumstances considered criminal damage by the police and therefore if your property is affected this should be reported to them.

Who to report graffiti to

The Council aren’t responsible for all the graffiti in the district and are only responsible for graffiti on Council property. You should report graffiti to the owner of the property it’s on:

Graffiti and the law

In England and Wales, graffiti is considered an act of criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971 and offenders can be punished with an unlimited fine.

Since 2004 it has also been an offence for shop-keepers to sell spray-paint to under-16s. In England and Wales, the offence is under section 54 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, with a maximum fine of £2500.

Graffiti on historic buildings

Many buildings throughout Somerset are Listed (historic buildings), it may therefore in these instances be advisable to contact us prior to starting any work.

What is Flyposting?

Flyposting is illegal temporary advertising and generally taken to be the ‘display of advertising material on buildings and street furniture without the consent of the owner’.

There are certain local events that do not need advertisement consent and they are those that are organised for social, recreational or religious purposes. For example, amateur dramatic plays, Parent-Teacher Association fetes, church bazaars but not sporting events of a commercial nature. However all such advertising must have the permission of the landowners, including on the highway. For guidance on these events please read Fly Posting Guidelines for Charitable Groups (PDF 19.75KB).

Illegal adverts on public property verges, railing, lamp columns and so on are generally removed immediately, especially if considered a distraction to drivers.

What you can do about Flyposting

If you are concerned about flyposting in the area then please contact us by either using our online form, by email, by telephone or by post and measures will be put in place to deal with the matter.

Report a problem


You can report a problem with graffiti on Council property using an online reporting form for the area you live in, by email, telephone or post. Please give as much information as you can. For instance:

  • Location, for example, town or village and road name
  • Description of graffiti and if it is offensive


Report a problem with a bus shelter

Last reviewed: March 4, 2024 by Qi

Next review due: September 4, 2024

Back to top