About the Slinky digital trial
Slinky is going digital in Somerton.
This trial is a digital version of the Slinky on-demand transport service, known as Digital Demand Responsive Transport (DDRT), operating throughout Somerton and the surrounding areas shown on the map below.
The ‘on demand’ service is flexible and easy to book using the new Slinky app.
The Slinky app uses existing bus stops and landmarks as pick-up points, to connect you to local places of interest within the operating area – such as the supermarkets, town centres, education and health care services. It can also be used to connect you with the current public transport network for onward travel, with onward ticketing available.
For people who can’t get to one of our designated pick-up points, due to mobility issues, a pick-up can be arranged from your home.
You can book up to an hour before your journey time and 2 weeks in advance – which is recommended where possible to secure your journey.
Absolutely anyone can use this service, as long as you do not have access to a public bus service to make the journey.
Where you can travel on the service
Service running hours
The service will run from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday – excluding public holidays.
How to book the Slinky
Before you can book the service, you will initially be asked to register and create an account, either through the App, web page or by phoning us.
- Download the Slinky app – by searching Slinky in your smartphone’s app store or by using the links below.
(images of app store and google play to be linked)
- Using the Slinky Booking webpage
- Or phone us on 01823 359 999 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
How to use the app
- Download the Slinky app – by searching Slinky in your smartphone’s app store or by using the links above.
- Create your account – Follow the simple signup steps on the app, to create your account.
- Book your journey – By entering your start location and destination, the app will automatically assign the best pick-up and drop-off points for your journey. Enter the time you would like to travel and complete the booking by paying the fare, you will receive a booking confirmation.
- Track the vehicle – Using the Slinky app – track the vehicle and find out exactly where your pick-up point is, the pick-up point may be a short walk from where you are.
If you are planning a connecting journey to another public transport service, please ensure you use the ‘arrive by’ option when booking. The app will schedule you an appropriate pick-up time, but your arrival time at your destination will be fixed to enable you to meet your onward transport.
Online bookings can be made directly by customers over 16s; a journey can also be booked on behalf of someone younger, who’d like to use the service, by a registered parent or guardian.
How to make payment
We recommend that you pay in advance for the fare, when making your booking on the app or webpage (only available if you are over 18).
Or, you can pay on the vehicle using cash or contactless.
Somerton Digital Slinky fares
|Under 3 miles single
|Under 3 miles return
|Over 3 miles single
|Over 3 miles return
|Child fare (5 to 16)
|Concessionary pass holder (50% discount)
|Integrated ticket for onward travel
How to contact us
This webpage gives you all the information you need to know about the Slinky Digital service.
If you still need more help, please use the contact information below and one of the team will be happy to help.
Phone us – 01823 359 999 (9am and 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
Email – HelloDDRT@somerset.gov.uk