The Licensing Act 2003
Somerset Council (the council) is the licensing authority under the Licensing Act 2003 (the Act). It is empowered to administer the following in respect of the sale and/or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and late-night refreshment within the county:
- premises licences including provisional statements, variations, transfers, interim authorities and reviews
- club premises certificates
- temporary events notices
- personal licences.
The Act requires the council to prepare and publish a Statement of Licensing Policy and to review this every 5 years.
The Policy sets out how the council will handle or administer applications made under the Act and how it expects applicants to promote the licensing objectives of:
- prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- prevention of public nuisance
- protection of children from harm.
Gambling Act 2005
The Gambling Act 2005 requires the council to prepare and publish a Statement of Licensing Policy every three years. The Policy sets out how the council will handle or administer applications made under the Gambling Act 2005 having regard to the limitations placed upon the council by the Act.
Under the Act the council must aim to permit the use of the premises in so far as it thinks it is in accordance with any relevant code practice issued by the Gambling Commission; any relevant guidance issued by the Gambling Commission; reasonably consistent with the licensing objectives of:
- preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
- ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
- protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling, and in accordance with the council’s Statement of Licensing Policy.
Somerset Council is consulting on its new Gambling Policy – Statement of Principles, and we welcome your comments.
The Taxi Policy
The council’s Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy sets out how the council will promote the following objectives:
- the protection of public safety
- access to an efficient and effective public transport service
- the protection of the environment
- to provide and maintain a professional and respected hackney carriage and private hire trade by continued liaison with trade representatives, monitoring of improvements in the standard of service provided.
You will find more information on our policies, charges and making applications on our Taxi or Private Hire vehicle licence page.
- Mendip – Street Trading Policy 2021-2026 (PDF 396KB)
- Mendip – Gambling Statement of Principles 2022-2025 (PDF 698KB)
- Mendip – Taxi Policy 2018 (PDF 1.5MB)
- Sedgemoor Gambling Policy – Statement of Principles (PDF 861KB)
- Sedgemoor – Licensing of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles, Drivers and Operators Policy (PDF 382KB)
- South Somerset – Gambling Act Policy 2022 (PDF 1.4MB)
- South Somerset – Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2022 (PDF 1.44MB)
- South Somerset – Street Trading Policy 2017 (PDF 350KB)