Workshops for Information, Support and Education (WISE)
Being a parent carer of a child or young person with additional needs can bring extra situations which are challenging to know how to handle. To help support parent carers navigate these a range of workshops have been created by Somerset Parent Carer Forum based on the subjects you have told them would be helpful.
The idea behind the project is to empower parent carers through Workshops for Information, Support and Education. All the workshops will be delivered or co-delivered by someone with lived experience of being a parent carer.
What does it cover?
Topics to be covered over the year include:
- Emotional Based School Avoidance
- Establishing routines and using visuals
- Helping your child with sleep difficulties
- Social stories
- Managing behaviour that challenges
- Helping your child through a transition
- Helping your child manage their anxiety
- Helping your child understand the changes that come with growing up
- Understanding sensory differences
- Supporting communication through play
- Online and in-person workshops for parent carers of neurodiverse children and young people
Find out more in the WISE Up Sessions Booklet.
How is it run?
The workshop will have 2 main parts.
- Part 1 – will provide information and ideas of things you can try (strategies).
- Part 2 – will give you time to discuss your own circumstances and form a plan of what you can try to help.
Alongside this there will be a range of information workshops both face to face and online.
How to register
Bookings for the course are being managed by Somerset Parent Carer Forum. You don’t need to be a member of the forum to attend but will need to be added to their database to enable your booking details to be secure.
Your child does not need to have a diagnosis. Everyone in the partnership delivering the sessions believes you should have access to support when you need it. Sessions are open to all parent carers who live in Somerset.
Go to the Somerset Parent Carer Forum WISE Up event page to register.