Young people approaching adulthood want to make decisions for themselves and develop their own pathway towards what everyone wants from life – employment, regular meaningful activities, independent living, being part of their community and good health.

There have recently been big changes to the way disabled young people and those with special educational needs are supported when they finish school and move on to the next stage in their lives.

The young people in this short film about Post 16 support talk about some of the different types of support that are available.

Young person’s transition to adult social care

To plan a young person’s transition to Adult Social Care, we have specialist transition workers based in each area of the county.

These workers attend area Transition Planning meetings as well as school and college reviews.

There is one countywide Transition Worker based in Adult Social Care who works with any young person who may require planning and transition to Adult Social Care (sensory loss, physical disabilities, long-term conditions).

You can find out more information on the Learning Disabilities Service page on the Somerset Council website.

Moving on – Transitions Pathway
The journey from Children’s Social Care to Adult Social care can be confusing and daunting, this animation gives you the information that you need as you transition services.

Professionals can refer to us using Professional Referrals to Adult Social Care on Professional Choices.

Families or anyone else can contact Customer Contact by:

Phone – 0300 123 2224
SMS Text – 07862122246

You can also find lots more information about preparing for adult life in this section.

Last reviewed: December 21, 2023 by Victoria

Next review due: June 21, 2024

Back to top