Inheriting or using a family property

You would have the same responsibilities as owning your own home outright. You may have been given a house by a family member. You may inherit the home you have lived in with your family. You may have part of your family home adapted or extended for you to live in independently. Depending on how you do this there are many different ways this can be financed.

You can stay in your family home if that’s what you want and you will have long-term security. If you are inheriting your family home it can sometimes be difficult to plan ahead.

Home Ownership for people with Long-term Disabilities (HOLD)

This is a scheme to help people with long-term disabilities buy their own home through shared ownership. Buyers can choose any home within the budget for sale from estate agents. There is a housing association HomeBuy Agent in each area to help people access the scheme.

You will have a wide choice of property and long-term security. There may be costs involved if you want to move on. Also, if you are in work, or want to become employed in the future, you will need to get clear advice about how earning your own money may affect your mortgage payments.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home. Find out more on the GOV.UK Disabled Facilities Grant page.


Speak to your Social Worker or Leaving Care Worker for more information.

Last reviewed: October 9, 2023 by Sophie

Next review due: April 9, 2024

Back to top