Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.


You can rent your own home from:

  • A council or housing association
  • A charity or voluntary organisation
  • A private landlord
  • Someone you know, like a family member or friend

Renting from a council or housing association

These are also called social landlords. You normally get this type of housing by going on the council housing register, and using a choice-based lettings scheme. If you want to live with a friend, family member or partner long-term, you can apply for this type of home together.

This can be a secure way of renting your own home and the rent is more affordable if you are working, but you may have to wait a long time before you are housed and you may not have much choice.

Supported housing

Shared supported housing is tenancy-based and usually attached to support. You receive full benefits and your rent and care is paid separately. If you receive personal care in supported housing, the care provider must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

You will always have other people around and you can share responsibilities like cooking, cleaning and paying the bills, though you may not have full control over who you live with and who supports you.

Shared Lives Scheme

This helps you to live with another family in their home. Sometimes you can be a lodger and sometimes they are registered as a care home.

This can be good if you have never experienced living with a family or want to live in a family environment. You will be living in a normal house in a normal street. Depending on the family, you may not have as much independence and freedom as you need. You may have to live according to their rules and way of life.

Renting from a private landlord

You can do this in several different ways, some people rent by going to an estate agent and choosing a home. Most councils help people access private rented housing by helping with a deposit or by having arrangements where the council or housing association lease from the private landlord and give you a tenancy.

You will have a wide choice and get housing quickly and it can be good if you want to try out independent living, but you may not have long-term security and you may have to pay a deposit cost.

Housing support or advice

You can get information on housing from Somerset Council.

Rupert gives an overview of what Homefinder Somerset is and how it works, during October 2022 Local Offer Live sessions.

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from your council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home. Find out more on the GOV.UK Disabled Facilities Grants page.

Last reviewed: October 9, 2023 by Sophie

Next review due: April 9, 2024

Back to top