Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.


Being a councillor is a great way to speak up for your community. You can stand for election in your town or parish or for the Somerset Council.

Anyone can become a councillor if they represent themselves as an independent candidate. You can also become a councillor if you’re a member of a political party. If you want to represent a party, you will first need to join one and ask them to select you as their candidate for your area.

There’s a lot more information on how to become a councillor on the Be a Councillor website.

If you want to stand as an independent councillor visit Local Elections England Local Elections England – Electoral Commission for information.

What would be expected of you

Representing the people
As a councillor you’ll be involved with individuals and groups with a range of problems and priorities.

You’ll need to speak up for people in your area, whether they voted for you or not. You won’t always be able to agree with them because you have to consider the wider needs of the community as well as individual concerns.

Political accountability
You’ll have a say in political decisions with your colleagues and other councillors. You’ll need to be able to answer for your actions and those of any group you’re a member of.

If you’re an opposition member, the role of checking and questioning the decisions of the controlling group will fall to you.

Working with the community
You’ll be part of one of the 18 Local Community Networks across Somerset. Area Committees consist of local division councillors with input from residents, parish councils, representatives of voluntary organisations, stake-holders and others.

Representing the Council
You may be called on to represent the Council on organisations such as charities, trusts or voluntary groups and you’ll have to put forward the views of the Council.

Disclosure policy
As part of becoming a councillor you’ll also undertake appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks.

Payment and allowances

A basic allowance is paid to each councillor. Find out more about allowances and payments

Last reviewed: April 18, 2024 by Paul

Next review due: October 18, 2024

Back to top