Pupils start at a junior school at the beginning of Year 3
Pupils start at a middle school at the beginning of Year 5
All applications for a junior or middle school place in September 2021 must be made to your home authority – this is who you pay your council tax to.
If you are unsure if your child lives in Somerset, you can check whether we are your local authority for school admissions here.
If your child is due to start at a junior or middle school in September 2021 you are advised to carefully read the Primary Admissions Guide before making your application. This contains everything you need to know in order to make your school place application including information on the different types of school, Published Admission Numbers and the criteria used to allocate places at schools and academies.
Please apply online
You may want to use our helpful guide to applying for a school place.
From 16 April 2021 to view the outcome of your application log into the Citizen portal.
You may be prompted for a Unique Identification Number (UID). Please note we do not use these , so please choose the ‘NO UID’ button.
We only offer one school place for each child. If you submit ‘new’ preferences and it becomes possible to offer a place at one of these schools, any place we have offered you previously will be withdrawn.
How to get more information
For the criteria used to allocate places at schools and academies please see the Admission policies page
If you would like information on how places were allocated at your preferred schools in previous years please see our School Place Allocation Summaries page.
How you find out which school you’ve been offered
If you applied online by 15 January 2021, you will receive an email with the outcome of your application on 16 April 2021. If you applied using a paper application form your outcome will be sent out by second class post on 16 April 2021. Outcomes will not be given out over the phone or in person at the Council offices.
From 16 April 2021 you can view the outcome of your application by logging into the online application system here.
What happens if you missed the deadline or want to change your preferences after the closing date
Please note, it is the parent or carer’s responsibility to make an on-time school place application. If you are making an application after the closing date, it will be classed as late and your application will be considered according to the dates below.
For applications received by 4 May 2021 we will send outcomes on 7 June 2021.
Applications received after 4 May 2021 will be processed in strict date order of receipt and outcomes sent out after 7 June 2021.
If you want to apply for a primary school
If you wish to apply for your child to move to another school (for example, from an infant to a primary school), please see the page In Year School Admissions for advice on in year admissions which are school moves outside of the usual school transfer cycle.
Important tips for making your school place application
We would strongly advise that you carefully consider the following when making your school place application.
- It is strongly advised you put three school preferences on your form especially if you live in an urban area. You are not given a higher priority for any school by stating it as your only preference and may be more likely to be allocated a school you have not chosen. This could also be some distance from your home address. Although it is unlikely it could even be the case that it is not possible to allocate your child a school place and you need to make a further application in the second round.
- All preferences are considered equally and a place is offered at the highest preference possible.
- If you wish to be considered for your catchment school you must include it as one of your preferences. You can check your school catchment area on a map on the School Catchment page. The map is a representation of the catchment areas and cannot be relied upon for purchasing a property. If you are considering purchasing a property or if you live near a school border then please contact us.
- There are no guarantees that siblings will be allocated the same school when the school is over-subscribed so you are advised to put other preferences, especially if you live outside the catchment area.
- Carefully read the over-subscription criteria for the schools you have chosen. This can be found further up this page under the heading How to get more information
- If your preferred school requires a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) or further proof (for example, proof of regular church attendance), it is essential that this is sent in with your application form if you would like your child to be considered under the appropriate criterion. You can upload any supporting information, such as a SIF onto your online application. All SIFs can be found on the school website. For VC schools only the religious proof SIF can be downloaded from the right hand side of this page.
- If you have recently moved address or are due to move please provide proof of your new address. This can be the ‘exchange of contracts’ letter from the solicitors on a house purchase or a minimum six month tenancy agreement.
- You will be responsible for transporting your child to any school you name as a preference unless you have a statutory entitlement.
- Please ensure you fully complete the applicant details section of the application form including supplying a phone number. School Transport use a texting service to notify parents of changes to transport arrangements and require accurate and up to date details.
Fraudulent school place applications
We thoroughly investigate all potentially fraudulent or misleading applications we are made aware of and welcome information from schools and the public. For the 2019/20 academic year one home address claimed by the parent carer was not used to allocate the school place, and one school place was withdrawn as a result of information received about potentially fraudulent or misleading home addresses.
If you know or suspect that someone is trying to or has gained a school place fraudulently please let us know. You can send us this information anonymously if you prefer and rest assured that your details will remain completely confidential.