Somerset’s Climate Emergency Strategy was developed jointly by the five former Somerset local authorities, sector experts and external partners following a public consultation that took place in January 2020. It was formally adopted by all five Councils in November 2020.
The aim of our strategy is to reduce carbon emissions in the county and make Somerset a county resilient to the inevitable effects of climate change.
Our strategy provides details explaining what climate change is and what causes it, where carbon emissions arise from globally, nationally and locally and what the impacts will be here in Somerset. Our strategy sets ambitious goals to become a carbon-neutral county by 2030. It also outlines what the previous five councils and now Somerset Council intend to do to address the most important issues around the Climate and Ecological Emergency.
- Appendix 1 – The 5 Somerset councils’ Climate Emergency Declarations (PDF 468KB)
- Appendix 2 – Key Climate Change Terms (PDF 373KB)
- Appendix 3 – Climate Emergency Framework Consultation Report (Somerset Climate Action Network) (PDF 2.54MB)
- Appendix 4 – The 5 Somerset councils’ and Exmoor National Park’s Environmental or Carbon Management Plans (PDF 235KB)
- Appendix 5 – Key Climate Change Landmark Commitments and Legislation (PDF 221KB)
- Appendix 6 – Energy Sector Detailed Report (PDF 1.39MB)
- Appendix 7 – Transport Sector Detailed Report (PDF 810KB)
- Appendix 8 – Built Environment Sector Detailed Report (PDF 851KB)
- Appendix 9 – Business, Industry and Supply Chain Sector Detailed Report (PDF 571KB)
- Appendix 10 – Natural Environment Sector Detailed Report (PDF 525KB)
- Appendix 11 – Farming and Food Sector Detailed Report (PDF 1.01MB)
- Appendix 12 – Water Sector Detailed Report (PDF 444KB)
- Appendix 13 – Waste and Resources Sector Detailed Report (PDF 597KB)
- Appendix 14 – Communications Sector Detailed Report (PDF 225KB)
- Appendix 15 – Climate Emergency Strategy – Outcomes Table (PDF 345KB)
- Appendix 16 – Initial Action Plan (PDF 112KB)
- Appendix 17 – Climate Emergency Strategy – Carbon Measurement Tools Report (PDF 3.44MB)
- Report on the public consultation on Somerset Climate Emergency (PDF 2.54MB)
Somerset Electric Vehicle Strategy
This EV Strategy describes how the use of conventionally fuelled petrol and diesel vehicles must transition to ‘Zero Emission’ Electric vehicles, in line with national policy. It also sets out the opportunities and the challenges that this will bring as we look to decarbonise transport across Somerset to help tackle the Climate Emergency.
We are now working together to deliver on the numerous recommendations, including cutting our own fleet emissions and delivering EV charging infrastructure across the county.
Somerset Tree Strategy
A wide range of stakeholders have come together to develop the Somerset Tree Strategy 2023 to 2033.
The strategy focuses around five key themes:
- Creating a woodland culture
- Making our treescapes more resilient and adaptable to climate change
- Expanding tree coverage across Somerset
- Focusing on the services and products around trees
- Creating a sustainable and flexible governance structure
We have split the strategy into three separate documents.
- The strategy itself which focuses on these five core themes
- The objectives and Actions document which breaks these down into deliverable actions
- The Evidence document which contains further detail and information on the strategy
Sustainable Events Guidance
For guidance and information on how to make your event more sustainable check out our guidance: