Out of hours
If you need to report a problem with snow and ice outside normal working hours – Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm – and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.
For up to date information about bad weather affecting roads in Somerset, please visit our Travel Somerset website.
You can find all the latest information about our services being affected by snow and ice on our Somerset Newsroom.
You can find details of schools that have let us know about closures or limited opening on School Notifications – Closures and Partial Closures
Waste and Recycling
Updates about waste and recycling collections and recycling sites if there is severe weather are on the Somerset Waste Partnership website.
You can find out about the latest updates on weather affected routes for public transport and school transport on our transport affected by bad weather page.
You can check when our gritters are in action and see a map of which roads are gritted on our Travel Somerset gritting page.
Report snow and ice
We are responsible for highway winter service in Somerset, except for the M5, A303 and A36. We have a precautionary salting network, which covers key routes across the county.
When you contact us please tell us:
- what the problem is
- exactly where the problem is
- your name and address, in case we need to contact you
- whether or not the road is usually salted, if you know
What we can do
- Precautionary salting (on the pre-salting network) when there is a risk of ice or snow
- Clear routes of snow accumulation in priority order
- Keep the public informed, for example, by using twitter
What we can’t do
- Work on the motorway or trunk roads. These are the responsibility of Highways England
- Salt or grit all roads
- Keep roads free of ice and snow all the time
Travel Somerset Twitter – Live travel alerts, roadworks information and winter weather updates.
Travel Somerset gritting information – Find out when and where the roads are being gritted and what we do.
Highways England – Operates, maintains and improves England’s motorways and major A roads.
Traveline – Plan your journey
Met Office – Find a weather forecast