You can find all the latest information about our services being affected by snow and ice on our Newsroom
The latest updates from our highways team and information about road closures are on our Journey Planner and the Highways England website.
You can check when our gritters are in action and see a map of which roads are gritted on our gritting page.
You can find out about the latest updates on weather-affected routes for public transport and school transport on our roadworks and travel page.
You can find details of schools that have let us know about closures or limited openings on School Closures – closures or limited opening hours.
Waste and recycling
Updates about waste and recycling collections and recycling sites if there is severe weather are on the Bins, recycling and waste page.
We are responsible for highway winter service in Somerset, except for the M5, A303 and A36. We have a precautionary salting network, which covers key routes across the county.
What we do
- Precautionary salting (on the pre-salting network) when there is a risk of ice or snow
- Clear routes of snow accumulation in priority order
- Keep the public informed, for example, by using Twitter
What we do not do
- Work on the motorway or trunk roads. These are the responsibility of Highways England
- Salt or grit on all roads
- Keep roads free of ice and snow all the time