Welcome to our guidance page for event organisers.

Somerset welcomes and encourages high-quality events throughout the year, ranging from large festivals and sporting events to small community events. The information on this page has been collated to help organisers understand the requirements and to apply for the correct orders and licences.

If your event requires a Temporary Traffic Restriction, such as a road closure, you will need to apply for a formal order.

For all filming enquiries please contact Screen Somerset

Road Closure and Traffic Orders

Depending on the type of event, you will need to apply for a road closure under either:

  • Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA), or
  • under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (RTRA) – Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO).

If after reading this webpage, you are still unsure of what type of road closure you require, please contact the Events Traffic Management team at

We must receive all road closure applications 12 weeks before the event date.

Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847

A road closure under the TPCA is appropriate for small community events such as parades, public processions, rejoicing or illuminations or for an event when the streets are thronged or likely to be obstructed.

This may include events such as Street Parties, National Days of Significance and Festive Gatherings.

This type of closure is not suitable for the fabrication of structures on the highway, or if there is a current traffic order in place that requires suspension (such as reversing a one-way or suspension of parking restrictions).

The cost of closure under TPCA is £200.00.

Where applicable, we will explore options to reduce costs but must ensure full cost recovery.

View our Apply for a road closure for an event

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order

If your event is large, closes a main through route, uses the road for a considerable amount of time, or requires the restriction of a speed limit, the reversal of a one-way system or other traffic restrictions, then you must close the road under an RTRA TTRO.

Apply for a TTRO.

The cost of a standard TTRO is £1375

Please note an additional charge of £1100.00 will apply for any applications received within 12 weeks of the event date.
Where applicable, we will explore options to reduce costs but must ensure full cost recovery. Please contact the Events TM Team at to discuss this further.

Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis and rely on the network being free of planned works for the duration of your event. For more information and to check what documentation needs to be submitted with your application, see the  Event Organisers Guidance Pack.

Additional Permits and Licences

Every event that takes place on or near the highway is different and may need different licences and notifications. The most common applications that may be required are:

Applications concerning the use of Public Rights of Way (PROW)

If the nature of your event means you need to place temporary traffic lights or stop and go boards on the public highway, you must have a licence and will need to apply to place temporary traffic lights on the road

Does your event mean that you need to temporarily suspend enforced on-street parking? If so, please complete an application for Parking waivers, suspensions and dispensations
(Please note this can be a part of a TTRO, please discuss this with the Events Traffic Management team)

If you are planning to erect structures or place temporary street furniture, equipment or machinery – for example fairground rides or generators – on the highway then you will need to apply for a Section 171 licence

Some events activities may require licensing to enable them to take place. This may include Street Trading, Alcohol Sales, or Live Music. Please contact the Licensing Team at Somerset Council.

Contact the team

If you would like to talk to us about your application before submitting it, or seek clarification on what you may need, please contact the team:

Events Traffic Management Team
Somerset Council
County Hall

Phone – 0300 123 2224
Email –

We always recommend that event organisers check the network prior to applying to close a road. To view current events and works, please visit

Last reviewed: April 28, 2023 by Paul

Next review due: October 28, 2023

Back to top