We believe that the basic needs for disabled children are no different from those of any other child. But we recognise that some disabled children have additional needs, or face additional barriers which inhibit and prevent their inclusion in society. And it is those children, that we endeavour to support.
This service covers:
- Children’s Social Care Disability Service
- Children’s Social Care Disability Early Support Services
- Community Inclusion and Activity Team
- Somerset Supporter Service
- Direct Payment Scheme
- Home based care
- Short Breaks Children’s Homes
- Short Breaks Foster Care
Read Somerset’s Short Breaks Statement for more information
The team works closely with colleagues in the Health and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities services, and the Inclusion Team within Education.
- Autism and Communications Service (for children up to age 13)
- Occupational Therapy Service – specialist environmental and functional assessors in the home, school, respite and other venues
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Community Inclusion and Activity Team
Community – we want to enable children and young people with a disability or additional need and their families to be able to access their local community
Inclusion – we want children and young people with a disability or additional need to feel included in their community and in clubs and activities.
Activity – we can signpost children and young people with a disability or additional need to many opportunities to access regular clubs and activities in the school holidays. We offer some of these activities ourselves and we work with many other organisations who offer great activities too. This information is sent to you in our newsletters and calendars.
Team – we cover the whole of Somerset and our team work directly with referred families to offer support, information and guidance, as well as offering activities and clubs. We are part of the wider Children With Disabilities Team.
If your child or young person
- has a diagnosed disability or is undergoing diagnosis
- has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
- is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or PIP
You can refer to the Community Inclusion and Activity Team for time-limited support for your family to help with information, advice and signposting, and possible funding to help you to access local opportunities.
Find more information to help you
If you have received confirmation from the Community Inclusion and Activity Team about an activity day booking with a reference number you can use the form below to complete your payment.