When a young person becomes 18 years old Adult Social Care services takes over the responsibility for providing their social care. When you transfer, the services you need may change. For example, in some cases you will no longer be eligible for the services you have been receiving, or your carer may need more support.

Children’s Services and Adult Social Care will work closely together before you are 18 to make sure everyone understands what is needed.

To plan a young person’s transition, we have specialist transition workers based in the Locality Community teams. These workers attend area Transition Planning meetings as well as school and college reviews.

Local authorities will need to consider the needs of the person, what needs they are likely to have when they (or the child they care for) turn 18, and the outcomes they want to achieve in life. This should form part of an Education, Health and Care plan annual review from year 9, and a referral to the Transition Team can be made because of this review.

Below is a guide to what Adult Social Care does.


If you would like someone to talk with you to complete a care assessment and give you professional advice, please phone Somerset Council on 0300 123 2224. Please also see Care and support assessment.


If you have less than £23,250 in savings and income and, following a care assessment, you meet the national eligibility criteria, the Council may be able to contribute towards the cost of your care and support. Please see Help with paying for care and support.

You may have to contribute something as well. Social Care will talk with you about your money to work out what this might be. Please see Financial assessment.

Personal budgets and Direct Payments

The Council will tell you your personal budget. You can choose to have this money as a Direct Payment or Local Authority Managed Budget. Please see Financial assessment and Direct Payments.


The Council will regularly review your care and support needs and make changes to your personal budget to reflect your changing needs.


If you are an unpaid carer, the Council can provide advice, information and an assessment. There is lots of information for carers here.


Advocacy is when a person helps another person to be heard. An advocate can help you to tell other people what your needs or wishes are or speak for you if you want them to. An advocate will support you to speak for yourself whenever possible.

Last reviewed: November 8, 2023 by Helly

Next review due: May 8, 2024

Back to top