Somerset County Council
Home /

Waste and recycling


Waste and recycling in Somerset is handled by the Somerset Waste Partnership.

Somerset Waste Partnership website

On the Waste Partnership website you can find information about waste and recycling in Somerset including:

Disposal of commercial and trade waste
While there are many facilities for the disposal of trade and commercial waste in Somerset, the district and county councils only have legal responsibility to manage household waste.  This means that businesses need to make their own arrangements for disposal of trade and commercial waste.

Disposal of car parts and caravans
Caravans are not accepted at Recycling Centres as they are classed as industrial waste and not household waste (the sites are licensed and therefore accept household waste only). Scrap yards are licensed to take them but it is at their discretion whether they actually do.

For information on the disposal of industrial waste contact the Environment Agency on 0870 850 6506. Recycling Centres are not licensed to accept vehicles or part of vehicles. Please contact private waste disposal companies to dispose of any other car parts.

Home composting
Almost one third of household waste produced in Somerset could be composted at home. By composting at home not only are you saving on having waste taken away but you also end up with a valuable resource for your garden.

If you are interested in starting your own compost bin or heap at home you might consider buying a low cost bin from Somerset Waste Partnership.

Hazardous waste
There are certain types of waste that are considered as hazardous. These include garden chemicals, lead-based paints, asbestos and acids. Hazardous waste cannot usually be disposed of with your kerbside recycling and refuse collections.

In the UK an estimated 5 million tonnes of hazardous waste is disposed of each year. Somerset Waste Partnership provide facilities so household hazardous waste can be disposed of safely. In Somerset all Recycling Centres or Community Recycling Sites have a point for disposal of hazardous waste but please note that only Bridgwater (Saltlands), Frome, Highbridge, Minehead, Street, Taunton (Priorswood) and Yeovil have facilities to take asbestos. There is a maximum one tonne disposal limit for asbestos.  This roughly equates to 16 sheets of 8ft by 2ft or 16 sheets of 2.5m x 0.6m.

Special care should be taken when handling any hazardous material. Please follow these guidelines when taking material to your local Recycling Centre or Community Recycling Site: 

  • Please keep the material securely sealed in its original container
  • Never mix chemicals together (even the same type of chemical)
  • Keep the material upright while travelling to avoid spillage
  • On arrival at the Recycling Centre or Community Site let the staff know you have hazardous waste and they will direct you to the locked container.

These facilities are provided for residents wishing to dispose of household waste only. Commercial waste cannot be deposited at Somerset's Recycling Centres or Community Recycling Sites.

Charity waste and recycling collection 

Registered charities do not automatically have waste and recycling collected with household collections. Like commercial organisations you are free to arrange your own collection services. If the premises are used "wholly or mainly for charitable purposes" then you can arrange collection through us.  If applicable you will be charged for collection costs, but not the cost of disposal (we cannot guarantee this will be the cheapest available option for every charity). If you would like to discuss charity waste and recycling collections with us please contact us.


Contact: Somerset Waste Partnership
Address: Monmouth House, Blackbrook Park Avenue, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 2PX
Contact no: 0300 123 2224
Fax: 01823 625711
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, Sunday closed.

Find us on

Twitter link icon
Facebook link icon
YouTube icon

Information and resources

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »