Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

Part of
Sensory processing

Supporting children and young people with sensory processing differences


If you notice any sensory differences, the first thing to do is talk to your education setting (school, pre-school/nursery, or college).

For children or young people not attending an educational setting, talk to your health visitor or GP instead.

Your educational setting will use the Graduated Response Tool and Sensory Processing Handbook to put in place support. This is called an Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle. You can find out more on What to expect from education.

There is lots of information available to identify problems and find strategies to use which parent carers can also use at home. Adapting the task or the environment around the young person can allow them to take part in a meaningful way despite their sensory processing difference. Many families find these help when strategies are tried one at a time. Read more in our resources to help you adapt the environment section.

Both parent carers and professionals can call the Children and Young People’s Therapy Service advice line on 0303 033 3002.

This number is open between 09:00 – 12:00 on (except bank holidays): Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.


Last reviewed: December 4, 2023 by Sophie

Next review due: June 4, 2024

Back to top