Please note that there are currently depleted resources in the County Council’s Planning Control Service. We are encountering a particularly challenging situation and a recruitment process is underway. We apologise for this situation and any inconvenience it may cause.

Your local planning authority (district council) can advise you about developments such as extensions, residential and business developments.

We deal with planning applications that relate to minerals, waste or Somerset County Council developments, such as schools, libraries, social care developments and new roads.

We also monitor conditions imposed on our planning permissions and investigate complaints about alleged breaches of conditions or unauthorised activities. The district councils in Somerset do this for the developments they act as the planning authority for.

Please note; for matters concerning residential development such as house extensions, leisure developments or retail matters please contact your district council on the below numbers.

  • Mendip District Council 0300 303 8588
  • Sedgemoor District Council 0300 303 7805
  • Somerset West and Taunton Council 0800 304  8000
  • South Somerset District Council 01935 462462